Adults at risk for Type 2 Diabetes
Are you or someone you know at risk?
Risk Factors include:
- Family history of diabetes (parent, sibling)
- Inactive Lifestyle
- Age older than 45
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- History of gestational diabetes
- Diet high in sugar and fats
2 visits (approximately 2 hours each) consisting of computer tasks, memory games and questionnaires.
Possible fMRI scan(plus a disc of your brain images!)
Compensation up to $140
Travel Compensation to Roanoke may be provided
*All participation is completely confidential. To learn more about this study, call, text, or email (540) 739-5101 or email@example.com.
Decision making using TMS
This is a research study aiming to assess the effects of transcranial magnetic brain stimulation (TMS) on decision-making and craving in obese individuals.
What is TMS? TMS is a non-invasive procedure involving magnetic pulses to stimulate regions of your brain. TMS is safe and FDA approved. No medication or anesthesia required. TMS is a minimal risk procedure.
If you qualify, participation involves:
- Transcranial magnetic brain stimulation
- Computerized assessments
- MRI Scans
- Eye-blink Measurements
- Food Consumption
- Participation involves 6 sessions
- Each Session last 1-3 hours
- Compensation ranges from $30-$320 based on extent of participation
- This is not a treatment study
- All information is confidential
- Travel Compensation to Roanoke may be provided
- If you qualify, total compensation based on extent of study participation
- Must be 18-55 years of age
- Must be eligible for fMRI scanning and brain stimulation
- Pregnant females will be excluded
*All participation is completely confidential. To learn more about these confidential studies, call, text, or email (540) 315-0205 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Delay Discounting Research Study
Volunteers needed for a study examining whether delayed discounting (do you want a small reward now or a larger reward later?) is related to health, diet, and physical activity level.
Participants must be:
- Male or female or all race and ethnicities
- Between the ages of 18-65
- Body Mass Index between 22 and 40 kg/m2
- Are not trying to gain or lose weight
- Have not gained or lost weight in the past six months
- Willing to participate in two testing sessions which is about 5 hours of time
- Willing to have your blood drawn, body fat assessed, an oral glucose tolerance test, fill out questionnaires related to diet and physical activity, and wear a physical activity monitor for 4 days.
You will receive information, related to body composition, diet and physical activity level, and blood glucose and lipids (cholesterol). The total amount possible for participation is $60.
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in participating in this research study, please contact the Skeletal Muscle Substrate Metabolism Laboratory at Virginia Tech by email: email@example.com or by phone 540-739-2522.
How Diet Influences Muscle Metabolism
Volunteers are needed for a study examining how diet influences muscle metabolism. You will receive extensive health information and may receive up to $400 to compensate you for your time.
Participants must be:
- Between the ages of 18-40
- Females must be on monophasic oral contraceptive and not pregnant
- Not currently taking any medications (other than above)
- Without any major medical problems
- Willing to eat a high fat diet for five days
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in participating, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our online survey to determine your eligibility.