Adults at risk for Type 2 Diabetes
The purpose of the study is to look at positive thinking and decision making in adults at risk for Type 2 Diabetes.
- Receive biometric information, such as HbA1c (blood sugar) and blood pressure measurements
- Complete memory games, food surveys, and future thinking tasks
- Complete a two-phase food taste test
- Complete an fMRI scan (get a disc with images of your brain!)
- 18 years of age or older
- Prediabetes (higher than normal blood sugar, though not yet high enough for a Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure) and/or hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol)
- MRI eligible
Compensation up to $180 for completing the entire study.
This is not a treatment study.
Call 540-739-5101 or email email@example.com
Decision making using TMS
This is a research study aiming to assess the effects of transcranial magnetic brain stimulation (TMS) on decision-making and craving in obese individuals.
What is TMS? TMS is a non-invasive procedure involving magnetic pulses to stimulate regions of your brain. TMS is safe and FDA approved. No medication or anesthesia required. TMS is a minimal risk procedure.
If you qualify, participation involves:
- Transcranial magnetic brain stimulation
- Computerized assessments
- MRI Scans
- Eye-blink Measurements
- Food Consumption
- Participation involves 6 sessions
- Each Session last 1-3 hours
- Compensation ranges from $30-$320 based on extent of participation
- This is not a treatment study
- All information is confidential
- Travel Compensation to Roanoke may be provided
- If you qualify, total compensation based on extent of study participation
- Must be 18-55 years of age
- Must be eligible for fMRI scanning and brain stimulation
- Pregnant females will be excluded
*All participation is completely confidential. To learn more about these confidential studies, call, text, or email (540) 739-5101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Delayed Discounting Research Study
Volunteers needed for a study examining whether delayed discounting (do you want a small reward now or a larger reward later?) is related to health, diet, and physical activity level.
Participants must be:
- Male or female or all race and ethnicities
- Between the ages of 18-65
- Body Mass Index between 22 and 40 kg/m2
- Are not trying to gain or lose weight
- Have not gained or lost weight in the past six months
- Willing to participate in two testing sessions which is about 5 hours of time
- Willing to have your blood drawn, body fat assessed, an oral glucose tolerance test, fill out questionnaires related to diet and physical activity, and wear a physical activity monitor for 4 days.
You will receive information, related to body composition, diet and physical activity level, and blood glucose and lipids (cholesterol). The total amount possible for participation is $60.
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in participating in this research study, please contact the Skeletal Muscle Substrate Metabolism Laboratory at Virginia Tech by email: email@example.com or by phone 540-739-2522.
How Diet Influences Muscle Metabolism
Volunteers are needed for a study examining how diet influences muscle metabolism. You will receive extensive health information and may receive up to $400 to compensate you for your time.
Participants must be:
- Between the ages of 18-40
- Females must be on monophasic oral contraceptive and not pregnant
- Not currently taking any medications (other than above)
- Without any major medical problems
- Willing to eat a high fat diet for five days
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in participating, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our online survey to determine your eligibility.
The CLAMP Study
Volunteers needed for a study examining proteins in skeletal muscle following an overnight fast and the administration of insulin.
Participants must be:
- 18-40 yrs of age
- Not be morbidly obese, have diabetes or cardiovascular disease
- Weight stable (less than 5 lb weight loss/gain in prior 6 months)
The study involves two testing session with a 9 hr time commitment and involves two muscle biopsies, two intravenous catheters for infusion of insulin and glucose, and a test to measure your metabolic rate.
You will receive information on your body composition, diet and physical activity level, and blood glucose and cholesterol. You will receive $50 for each biopsy, $50 for the insulin and glucose infusion, and another $50 for completing the entire study (up to $200 total).
For more information, please go to the following link: http://www.hnfe.vt.edu/research/hipl/research/CLAMP.html
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in participating, please contact the Skeletal Muscle Substrate Metabolism Laboratory at Virginia Tech by email: email@example.com or by phone 540-739-2522.